Ok, so crab cakes should theoretically taste of crab right? Good. Due to the high expense of this tasty and humble crustacean, crab and similarly fish cakes, are often bulked up with cheap fillers like breadcrumbs or mashed potato. However, if you can close your eyes while you’re paying, then these will be worth the make! Makes 4, serves 2 (but 2 is plenty as they are rich enough)
- 200g mixed crab meat (half brown; half white)
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp chopped chives and parsley
- Salt and pepper
- Handful breadcrumbs
- Plain flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- Mix the crab meat, lemon and herbs together in a bowl with lots of freshly ground black pepper and some salt.
- Form into 4 round patties and chill in the fridge for about 30 minutes
- Place the flour, egg and breadcrumbs on 3 plates. Roll each crab cake in first the flour, egg and finally breadcrumbs. Return to the fridge and rest for 30 more minutes
- When ready to cook, heat a knob of butter and 1tbsp of olive oil in a medium high heat frying pan. Fry for about 4 minutes on each side or until golden and crisp!
I served mine with an avocado and tomato salsa and homemade mayonnaise!