I spent a gorgeously sunny few days at home in Wiltshire this weekend and had to make a batch of my favourite sweet treat. The recipe is from one of my previous blog posts but adapted slightly with some lime salt which I thought was a quirky experiment. I love salt with sweetness and the sharp lime and blackcurrant in this recipe make sure you’ll never forget the taste. Served with coconut ice cream it would happily top off my last meal…
- 1 x Blackcurrant almond tart recipe
- 1-2 limes
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- Pinch salt
- Mint to decorate
- Make the basic tartlets as per the recipe link above adding the zest of 1 lime to the frangipane mixture.
- For the icing, mix about 2 tbsp of icing sugar with a tiny amount of lime juice and mix until thick. Add more icing sugar if its too runny. Spoon into a plastic piping bag and snip off the end.
- Once cool, ice a neat pattern or random design on top.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 75°C. Place the zest of 1- ½ a lime on a piece of parchment on a baking tray and dry in the low oven for about 20 minutes to intensify the flavours. Alternatively you can leave it to dry overnight. Mix the dried zest with a tiny pinch of salt.
- Scatter sparingly on top of the tarts and top with a few dainty leaves of mint.