This was the perfect little dessert this Christmas time. A really light, simple chocolate mousse that even a academically and domestically challenged young child could manage, spiked with some extra flavours and accessorized with some crunchy gold shards of honeycomb and melting pecan shortbreads to add the Christmas sparkle. It was perfect to shove onto a big wooden board and plonk into the middle of the table at the end of a tiresome boxing day marathon meal for your guests to greedily help themselves to as they wish.
Chocolate Mousse (Serves 6)
- 150g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 50g nutella
- 125ml double cream
- 50 ml milk
- 4 eggs whites
- 25g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Heat the cream, milk and vanilla in a pan until just beginning to boil. Then quickly remove from the heat and add the chocolate.
- Mix until melted, smooth and shiny
- In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Add the caster sugar spoonful by spoonful until the meringue is shiny and glossy.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the chocolate, a third at a time, keeping as much air in as possible.
- Once all has been combined, spoon into individual glasses or ramekins and chill in the fridge for about 2 hours.
- I served mine with some shortbread biscuits and some crispy honeycomb!
- 100g caster sugar
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- 1.5 tsp bicarbonate soda
- Begin by spreading out a large sheet of parchment on a cold flat surface and oil lightly.
- Mix the sugar and syrup in a pan until dissolved. Do not stir once dissolved but swirl the pan to combine
- Bubble for a few minutes until it begins to turn golden brown. It will be very hot so be careful. Watch closely, if it does not boil long enough it won’t set, too long and it will taste bitter
- Once it turns golden, remove from the heat and working quickly add the bicarbonate of soda and whisk briefly. It will bubble fiercely. Once it has aerated, quickly tip onto the parchment and leave to cool and set solid.
- Break into shards and book a dentist appointment before enjoying, dipped into your chocolate mousse!