y sister and I enjoyed a version of this salad on our holidays in Greece and it’s been with us nostalgically since. I’ve sadly forgotten whether it had little cubes of salty pancetta or crumbled feta cheese in it but what I do know is that peaches and balsamic were a hit. A very valid excuse to return and I hope that little Greek taverna is still tucked away in the port of Sivota awaiting our us…
Promise me you won’t dare think about making this salad with out of season tomatoes or peaches in Winter. Its a summer salad where only juicy fresh tomatoes will do – preferably from your bounteous allotment if you are so lucky to have one! I hold no accountability for anyone making this in November and complaining about the lack of flavour…
Serves 2 (as a main / large side)
- 2-3 large tomatoes (gorgeous ripe heritage / heirloom tomatoes look prettier here, taste amazing and make the salad interesting. Try some yellow or green ones as well as your usual red)
- 200g cherry tomatoes
- 1 shallot
- 2 ripe peaches / nectarines
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Handful of salad leaves e.g. rocket, watercress, lambs lettuce
- Handful basil leaves
- Balsamic glaze
- Flaky salt and black pepper
- *Optional cheeses – a salty element works fantastically in this salad and a cheese is ideal. I actually made this with fried halloumi the night before. Think about adding cubed fried halloumi pieces, crumbled feta, goats cheese, shaved parmesan or a big bulging burrata!
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half and place in a bowl. Chop the shallot in half and then into fine half moon slices and add to the tomatoes. Sprinkle over a generous pinch of flaky salt and cracked black pepper (the salt will draw out the juices so don’t be shy here with the seasoning). Add the red wine vinegar, stir and leave to sit for 10 minutes or so.
- Slice your large tomatoes into rounds or big chunks – however you like. Mix up the shapes for added texture and interest!
- Next, slice the peaches/nectarines into chunky slices.
- Get a large serving plate or bowl and add your leaves. Scatter over your sliced tomatoes and peaches/nectarines and season well. Toss in your cherry tomato-shallot mixture with the juices.
- Give everything a good and gentle toss together and then rip over the basil leaves.
- If using cheese, add this now.
- Drizzle over your balsamic glaze and serve!