Summer seems to have arrived! Perhaps its temporary but with no more exams and job hunting understandably postponed I’ve been making the most of some refreshing cocktails. This one is aptly named ‘Double Happiness’ enjoyed with the first seasons pickings of my dad’s home-grown asparagus.
Serves 4-6 (Adapted from ‘Vogue- Entertaining and Travel’)
- 120g caster sugar
- 125ml boiling water
- 20 lychees (I used canned ones)
- 4 mandarins/2 oranges, peeled and chopped
- 125ml lemon juice
- Vodka or gin
- Crushed ice to serve
- Mix the sugar and the water to dissolve.
- Add the lychees and the orange pieces and leave to cool.
- Once cooled, add the lemon juice and a splash of the lychee syrup if you like. Crush the fruits lightly to release some of their flavour.
- The original recipe called for this to be divided into 6 and mixed with 60ml of alcohol to each serving….However I did it to taste and added 30ml of gin/vodka to roughly equal parts juice. Add crushed ice and serve in the sun!