After a fresh run and my favourite Sunday morning yoga class in the sunshine I returned home fresh, focussed, alive and….hungry! I love taking the time over preparing lunch at the weekend so threw together a super food salad to boost back my energy. This salad is delicious and highly adaptable like many of my recipes. Served with flaked oily smoked mackerel, juicy pink prawns, lemony smoked trout, fried halloumi, molten poached eggs. As a main dish topped with fried fish, add a handful or crunchy quinoa or roasted shredded chicken and bacon for a 21st century Caeser salad! Add raw shaved fennel if you like or change the herbs. Swap in your favourite dressing or take an Asian theme with soy sauce and sesame. The options are truly endless….
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- Handful ripe plum/cherry tomatoes, halved
- Handful raw sugar snaps, sliced
- ½ cucumber, sliced thinly
- Handful mint, leaves chopped (or a herb of choice)
- 1 tsp Nigella seeds
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 1 tbsp mixed seeds
- Handful of ‘China rose radish sprouts’ (optional…mine were from Organic planet but they can be found here too)
- Lemon juice and olive oil
- Protein to serve e.g. fried halloumi, freshly cooked prawns, smoked mackerel, smoked trout, poached egg, roast chicken
- Combine the salad ingredients and mix gently together and season well.
- Drizzle over a good squeeze of fresh lemon juice and some olive oil and toss gently together with clean hands
- Serve alone or with one of the above suggestions.