I love American food but it can be pretty big and diabetes inducing at times. But it can be done in a more refined way. Who doesn’t love the taste of spicy, sticky BBQ sauce lathered chicken. And as if not enough, a cooling, creamy and sharp tangy lime slaw is as welcome here as an ice cream in the Sahara.Tempted by spicy sweet potato chips I went for an alternative (like my demeanour) and a more health conscious unbeatable crunchy cheesy polenta chip. They were awesome. Girls, this is not date food mind (well first date food) I think there was more sauce on my face, hands, table and elbows (yes elbows…!) than on the chicken. Made to be devoured in the most unclassy fashion with a beer on a windy rainy October.
NOTE: This BBQ sauce recipe is very much like this one here. Use either!
- 2 chicken legs, jointed into thigh and drumstick is you like
- ½ tsp cumin seed
- ½ tsp fennel seed
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 ½ tsp smoked paprika
- Zest and juice of ½ orange
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 75ml ketchup
- Sprig of thyme and rosemary
- Crush the cumin and fennel together in a pestle and morta with the rosemary and thyme.
- Add to a bowl with the rest of the marinade ingredients and add the chicken.
- Leave in the fridge to marinade for about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Place the chicken in a dish and cover with foil. Bake for 30 minutes.
- After this time, turn the heat up and remove the foil. Cook for about 10 more minutes until the skin and topping is crispy and the chicken is cook through. I popped mine under the grill at this point too to get a really sticky crispy coating.
Slaw (pretty much open to any crunchy raw vegetables. I used a mix of the below)
- 1 red pepper, sliced thinly
- Handful of sugar snap peas, sliced thinly
- ½ small cabbage
- 1 small carrot, sliced thinly, grated or julienned
- Bunch mint, chopped
- Bunch coriander, chopped
- 3-4 tbsp natural yoghurt
- 1 tsp mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper
- Zest of 1 lime, juice of half
- Mix the vegetable together in a bowl
- Add the herbs and the lime zest
- Add the mayo, yoghurt some good seasoning and the lime juice together in a mug and stir well.
- Use as much as necessary to coat the vegetables.
- 100g fast cook polenta, plus a little extra for dusting
- 400ml (half water half milk)
- ½ small chilli, chopped
- Handful coriander, chopped
- Large handful grated parmesan
- Salt and pepper
- Oil/line a shallow soup bowl or baking tray that will hold the polenta and create about 2cm thickness.
- Heat the milk and water in a saucepan until it just comes to the simmer.
- Season the polenta well and add to the hot liquid in a thin stress stirring all the time. Keep stirring and it should begin to thicken very quickly and bubble. Keep stirring for a few minutes before adding the cheese, coriander and chilli. Keep stirring until it is thick like custard or porridge. Remove from the heat.
- Pour into the greased bowl.tray and smooth out to the thickness of 2cm. Chill quickly and leave to set for about 20 minutes.
- When cooled and set, turn onto a chopping board and cut into chip sized chunks. Dust with excess polenta
- Fry in a hot pan in a little oil until golden brown and crispy. Drain on kitchen paper and sprinkle with flaky maldon salt.