Cupcake versions of cocktails are always a crowd pleaser that receive oooo’s and ahhhh’s from those greedy alcoholic denying guests we all have. A Green & Blacks ginger bar packs a strong ginger punch so works perfectly. A modest bottle of honey rum (from an adventure abroad- use dark rum if not) has been tentatively perched on the pantry shelf awaiting its calling and was eying up the ginger like a beautiful model in a bar, so was ready to be called into action as well. Lime frosting for a final characteristic flavour with the chocolate addition makes me wonder why the famous cocktail- ‘Dark and Stormy’ doesn’t contain chocolate already…..happy eating….it will be!
Cupcakes (Makes 12)
- 100g Green & Blacks Ginger Chocolate
- 115g unsalted butter
- 115g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp ground almonds
- 150g self raising flour
- 1 tbsp Green & Blacks cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp golden (honey) rum
- Pinch ground ginger
- 200g cream cheese/mascarpone
- 60g sieved icing sugar
- 2 limes, zest
- Juice ½ lime
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a muffin or cupcake tray with cases.
- Melt the chocolate in a glass bowl over a pan of simmering water (make sure it does not touch the water) and melt slowly then set aside to cool a little.
- Cream the butter and caster sugar in a large bowl then beat in the eggs one by one.
- Add the ground almonds and then sieve in the flour, cocoa and a pinch of ginger and fold in. Add the rum and melted chocolate and mix until combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the cases and bake for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the icing ingredients and spoon into a piping bag and chill in the fridge until needed.
- When the cupcakes are cooked and cool, ice with the lime icing and add a grating of lime zest if you like! Serve…..perhaps with a ‘Dark and Stormy’ if you’re still feeling the need!