Fish and a vibrant salsa make the perfect marriage on the best of days but throw in some crunchy almonds and some cleansing fresh orange and you’ve got yourself a delicious swingers party……The texture of this ‘salsa’ add a lovely crunchy addition to the soft trout. It would also go brilliantly served with some blushing slices of roast lamb.
- 90g flaked almonds
- ½ lemon, zest and juice
- 1 tsp runny honey
- 1 orange- 1 tbsp orange juice squeezed
- salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Bunch of coriander
- Bunch of mint
- 4 trout fillets
- Heat a splash of oil in a pan over a moderate heat. Fry the flaked almonds for about 3-5 minutes until they begin to turn a nutty brown and release their flavour
- Tip into a pestle and mortar and crush lightly but not to a paste, keeping some texture
- Add the lemon juice and zest, orange juice, honey, salt and pepper, and loosen with a good few tablespoons of olive oil.
- Allow to cool slightly while you cook you trout. Season the skin side well with salt and pepper. Heat some olive oil in a hot frying pan and when really hot, fry, skin side down for about 4 minutes to get it really crispy. Season the flesh side and then turn and finish cooking for 2-3 minutes on the flesh side on a lower heat. Baste with a knob of butter at the end.
When ready to serve, chop the herbs finely and stir through the salsa. Add more oil to loosen if you like and season and adjust to taste. Serve your warm trout topped with the fresh salsa.
All made that extra bit more delicious by my personalised plate, courtesy of KVStudios!